Welcome!

This is the place I try to make my creative visions match the physical world.. watch while I sometimes fail and sometimes succeed!

Monday, April 2, 2012

Linen Closet Revamped

So. Linen closets. We have one. It's special, lined not with dry wall but cheap boarding of some sort. The shelves are all scraps and bending. Not impressed. It's fugly.

And I found a bonus after prying the shelves out. It's dated 1982! I was .. um.. 8 years old? I'm (fairly) sure this is a photo of a guy so the locket is kind of odd.

So this board needs to be primed before painting.. even the primer didn't coat it very well.. but the actual paint color (blue) coated very well. I was a bit meh on the color, but it's hard for me to get back to the hardware store so I was using it. The problem is it's a bit dark for a closet with no light, so I may need to add a light in here somehow.
I planned out my boards and drew it up on CAD - one of the cool things about being an architectural technician - I draw up all kinds of things on the computer, including patterns for sewing! Then I asked for some helping cutting them out. I don't like big saws!
I then sanded the shelves and painted them to match the closet. With a bit more help the supports were all put in place and the shelves are up! I've touched up a few spots and I'm waiting for them to dry as we speak.
 I've got some painter's tape up around the door frame as it needs to be painted, as does the door. I may take the door off first as there is an mdf panel that will be attached. I am not sure what I will attach to the door, either some small shelves, baskets, perhaps a strip of magnet to hold tweezers and nail clippers?


Odd how the closet doesn't look that dark in the photos, but it's just the flash, trust me, it's dark!
Here you can see how some of the different styles of shelves. I wanted the u-shaped ones for smaller items and it uses the space better. I also show one of the baskets I purchased from the dollar store for holding items. So, I'm getting closet to being finished!

No comments: