Welcome!

This is the place I try to make my creative visions match the physical world.. watch while I sometimes fail and sometimes succeed!

Sunday, April 14, 2013

Memory Quilt

A friend of ours passed away from pancreatic cancer last month. He had many friends, and was a generous and kind soul. I can't think of anyone who didn't like him. Often we would go for lunch as he worked nearby to my office and when he phoned me last summer to let me know I was shocked.
He was married for twenty-three years and had a young son. I can't even imagine how difficult this has been for them. Unable to travel down to see him before he died, or go to his celebration of life this weekend, I was inspired to make a quilt for his son.


I ordered some photo transfer paper - TAPS by Lesley Riley
Lesley's Website

It was a fairly easy process printing out the photos. Through trial and error I learned that if you're ironing more then one thing at a time, wait for the ironing board to cool down. Also, I had way more luck when I let the iron rest lightly on the transfer and kept it moving all the time until the paper peeled itself off.

I've got some stuff to help set photos and fabric, I'm really hoping that the photos come through the wash cycle in good shape (don't ask what I'll do it they don't!)

My choice of fabric had to do with my friends love of sock monkeys!


I will machine quilt in the ditch with some cyan colored thread, the back with be the brown fabric and I will bind it with the same brown 'sock' material. I kind of think of this as a memory blanket his son can sleep with - like sleeping with his dad!




Goodbye my friend...

No comments: