Welcome!

This is the place I try to make my creative visions match the physical world.. watch while I sometimes fail and sometimes succeed!

Sunday, April 28, 2013

Photo Transfer Paper

So after working my butt off and making what I think is the best quilt I've made so far - I'm left feeling very disappointed in the TAPS photo transfer paper. I did everything as instructed and after quilting the top, decided to wash it - twice - to make sure the photos didn't fade.
Yep. Faded. To the point I felt I could not use the quilt.

I left it sitting for a few days, pondering just replacing the photos with fabric (ugh!) and decided to try t-shirt transfer paper. I got the Staples brand and printed them out. The photo quality was amazing! Clear and bright colors. I ironed them on as instructed, and then washed them and they turned out okay.

On the left is the TAP product, the right is Staples t-shirt transfer. The difference at this point was amazing, and I had high hopes (apple pie in the sky hopes as it turned out!)

Then Later after I finished quilting everything I decided to wash it one more time and this time.. cracking.. and some of the detail washed away.
So depressing. In the meantime I have already contacted my friends sister about mailing the quilt down (I just KNEW I should have waited) and now it's back to a crappy looking quilt again.
Here is the Staples product after washing a second time. On both of these I used 100% cotton and followed the directions exactly.

So last ditch effort. I will invest in some bubble jet set and print directly onto fabric. Very frustrating and I think I might write each of these companies and complain. I've wasted a lot of money and time working on these photos!

Stay tuned for my final attempt at a photo memory quilt!

No comments: