Welcome!

This is the place I try to make my creative visions match the physical world.. watch while I sometimes fail and sometimes succeed!

Sunday, February 20, 2011

Sunny Days, Sweeping the Clouds Away...

I was very lucky yesterday and today to steal some time away from cleaning and laundry to do some fun stuff! Yesterday I ironed the fabrics I bought from Dressew. I'm glad I am one of those people that believes in pre-washing because I discovered two of my fabrics are completely inappropriate for quilting. One is see-through and the other is one of those fabrics that wrinkles horribly. I'm not sure what I will do with that one! The see through one might make a lovely blouse though. I'm really not keen on sewing clothing though so we'll see if it comes to pass.
Today I kicked the man and dog out and did some cutting for another quilt using some of the new fabrics I bought. I cut one of them into a basic square and starting cutting the other one and realized I wasn't sure what I was planning on doing with them. So I ironed a bit more and then came upstairs to do some research. While I was doing that (and snacking on some yummy black pepper crackers) I started researching something I had heard about a long time ago.. quilting one square at a time. The appeal of this to me is I could actually quilt on the train during my commute. I may have to try this!
The other thing I was reading up on is a quilt called "Dear Jane"... created by Jane A. Stickle in 1863, and recreated by Brenda M Papadakis. It's hard to describe how cool this quilt is, and it's not for the faint of heart. It comprises 225 pieced squares, triangles, and corner, well, kites for lack of a better description. There are over 5000 pieces in the quilt! One day I would love to make a Dear Jane quilt!

No comments: