Welcome!

This is the place I try to make my creative visions match the physical world.. watch while I sometimes fail and sometimes succeed!

Saturday, January 5, 2013

Inspiration

Over Christmas my grandmother passed away. Grandma was the quilter and crocheter of blankets. She made slippers and stuffed animals and barbie furniture from plastic canvas. She was a real inspiration for quilting and her blankets were usually a very traditional pattern using scraps.

A funny story. We had her 95th reunion in the summer, and during a quiet moment in her apartment in the seniors home, I showed her a picture of my rag quilt on my phone. She kind of looked at it, then looked at me with a look of confusion and she muttered something about the quilt... and I realized she just didn't get such a 'messy' quilt... why would you show all the edges?

 rag quilt post

Grandma raised all her kids after my grandfather died young. I can't imagine how difficult that must have been and I really admired her life. She kept busy with her church and with her crafts and her family. I can remember when I found out her friends called her "Bernie" - but that's a boys name! And when she'd pull her teeth out and put them in the glass on her nightstand, we were all fascinated.

For a few years she would send matching crochet 'pockets' with drawstrings. No one knew what they were for, so we'd put nice smelling soaps in them and put them in our drawers.... years later we found out they were slippers!

grandma blankets and other projects

Rest in peace Grandma. I only hope I can one day quilt like you did.


No comments: