Welcome!

This is the place I try to make my creative visions match the physical world.. watch while I sometimes fail and sometimes succeed!

Sunday, October 31, 2010

Japanese Fabric

I'm lucky, my sister has lived in Japan for the last five years or so. She's sent me some wonderful fabrics and I'm pretty interested in perhaps carrying some of them. I've spent a few days work on a quilt using some of what she's sent me, mixed in with a main color to make the Japanese fabric go a bit further.
I've just finished sewing a huge amounts of  strips for and ironing the seam and I'm really liking the way they're coming together, and I love the fabric. It sews nicely and irons nicely.
And speaking of sewing, I broke down and bought a new sewing machine this year. A fancy one, though not over the top. I've had a lot of trouble with the tension and was *this* close to bringing it in when I realized I hadn't been threading the drop in bobbin correctly. Oops! This should be a lesson, read the INSTRUCTIONS!
I kind of long for my old fashioned front loading bobbin... but this one has some fancy stitches I'm excited to try!
I found some pictures today of a store using what looks like Ikea shelves for their fabric. I like the way this looks, though I'm also thinking of lifting the shelves off the floor. I'd also like the fabric to only run in the centre of the shelves, leaving the bottom for such things as batting, and the top shelves for books and merchandising (quilts etc.) I have a shopping list for Ikea and hoped to get there today but it didn't happen. I'd like to do some experimenting with fitting the bolts of fabric and perhaps using some of the extra shelves for book/magazine holders or doors.

No comments: